Geographic Information Systems Specialist
About Our Office
The Office of the Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury is responsible for the audit of state and local governmental entities and participates in the general financial and administrative management and oversight of state government. The Office is led by Comptroller Justin P. Wilson, a constitutional officer who is elected by the Tennessee General Assembly.
In the Comptroller’s Office, we strive to deliver on our mission to make government work better. We believe our success as an office depends on finding opportunities for employees to accomplish our office’s goals and answer challenges to make things better.
We want every member of our team to be excited to come to work every day and be challenged. Through dedicated hard work and commitment, every Comptroller’s Office employee accepts personal responsibility to accomplish our mission and uphold it.
The Division of Property Assessments provides assistance, expertise, and oversight to the state’s property assessors and ensures effective administration of Tennessee’s property tax. The division also assists in reappraisal programs, provides technological services and administers the Tax Relief Program. This position will work with management, staff, other state entities and local governments to provide support in the coordination and operation of division activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the competency, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required with or without reasonable accommodation.
To qualify for consideration, an applicant should have graduated from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree.
- Two (2) years of relevant experience is preferred.
- A successful employee in this role should have the ability to develop strong relationships with local government officials, coworkers and other stakeholders and maintain credibility.
- Applicants should be detail-oriented, have strong organizational skills and be comfortable with working with a variety of personalities and organizational levels.
- Candidates should be able to perform well in a modern office environment.
Other combinations of education and experience, if evaluated as equivalent, may qualify an applicant for consideration.
Major responsibilities for this position will include:
- Work with and organize digitized databases for the input of spatial data.
- Analyze, develop, and use digital geographic information to perform work as required.
- Assist in developing various layers and structure for all spatial data and coordinate with various departments to integrate digital data into platforms directly.
- Provide technical support for the implementation and operation of GIS projects.
- Prepare GIS databases, maps, reports, and specialized queries to support projects.
- Produce complex maps for user departments and agencies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.