Public Utility and Transportation Auditor 1
Location: Nashville, Tennessee
About Our Office:
The Office of the Tennessee Comptroller of the Treasury is responsible for the audit of state and local governmental entities and participates in the general financial and administrative management and oversight of state government. The Office is led by Comptroller Justin P. Wilson, a constitutional officer who is elected by the Tennessee General Assembly.
In the Comptroller’s Office, we strive to deliver on our mission to make government work better. We believe our success as an office depends on finding opportunities for employees to accomplish our office’s goals and answer challenges to make things better.
We want every member of our team to be excited to come to work every day and be challenged. Through dedicated hard work and commitment, every Comptroller’s Office employee accepts personal responsibility to accomplish our mission and uphold it.
The Comptroller’s Office of State Assessed Properties conducts annual appraisals, assessments, and audits of public utility and transportation properties. We are looking for a Public Utility and Transportation Auditor who will assist with conducting audits of ad valorem tax reports and will administer the OSAP online filing system for motor bus, motor carrier, and private carline companies.
To qualify for consideration, an applicant should have graduated from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in business administration with an emphasis in accounting, finance, statistics or economics. Other combinations of education/experience, if equivalent, may qualify an applicant for consideration.
To perform this job successfully, candidates should possess knowledge of accounting theory and practices and have excellent math skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is required. Candidates should have the ability deal tactfully with the public and co-workers, exercise good judgement in evaluating situations and making decisions, and be able to express ideas clearly, concisely, and convincingly. Successful candidates will be innovative, take personal responsibility to get results, and adapt to changing priorities and deadlines while maintaining accuracy and consistency.
Major responsibilities for this position will include:
- With supervision, performing audits and assessments of assigned public utility and transportation properties for ad valorem taxation purposes.
- Administering the OSAP online filing system for various utility and transportation properties.
- As assigned, examining financial statements of public utility and transportation properties prescribed in Tennessee Code Annotated (T.C.A) § 67-5-1301.
- Checking financial statements and ad valorem report and working with supervisor to resolve auditing problems.
- Learning to use cost approach to value companies such as motor carriers, airlines, buses, and barge lines.
- Learning to conduct the cost of capital study.
Starting salary for an entry level candidate is $3,554 per month. The Comptroller’s Office also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes twelve days each of annual leave and sick leave, competitive insurance plans, pension retirement plan, 401(k), college fee waivers, and much more.